Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Discovering Second Life



Skippy Loudwater




I had no idea the virtual world Second Life existed until recently. It amazed me on the extensive detail that went it each and every aspect of the fantasy land. It took a few runs at to get the hang of it and then I ventured out to see what types of "real life" businesses are out there. I visited two in particuar. The first was the Amazon Mall. The business operated much like the real world version with the exception of it being a structural building. From what I gathered in talking to shoppers is that the Amazon Mall acted as a consumer-to-consumer market. Individuals can create items to place in the mall with the hopes of shoppers purchasing them. I saw things for the house like TV's, furniture, fine art, a few clothes or costumes, and posters (pictured below). It was really quite interesting.



The second place I visited was Nike. There you were able to browse the newest and latest lines of shoes and apparel. The option was there to treat yourself to some new kicks or a new workout woredrobe. This is a great and unique way for Nike to gauge consumer response on various products.

The virtual life experience was surprisingly fun. I was skeptical at first but once I learned how to navigate through the lanscape, I realized that the possibilities are endless. You never know where the adventures of Skippy Loudwater will go next...but there's always time for putt-putt!





No comments:

Post a Comment